Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The 2014 Rocket City Marathon Race Report

This is the original race report that I posted on My Fitness Pal back on 12/13/2014 from my very first marathon experience at Rocket City.  This is a repost, but added a few pictures.



The 38th Rocket City Marathon occurred on 13 December 2014 (Saturday 7 AM).
My Strava data from RCM 2014.

Rocket City Marathon 2014


This is the 38th running of the annual Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville Alabama.  This year was a brand new route for this race.  For the first time, the course took you to through the US Space and Rocket Center (where Space Camp is) and the Huntsville Botanical Gardens.  The race course this year was sort of a figure 8. The first 13 miles started from the front of the Von Braun Center and took you down various sites of Downtown Huntsville (Centennial Village, Five Points, John H Steigerwood Field, and the War Memorial to name a few).  The first half looped back to the VBC and headed down Clinton Ave to Seminole and up 9th Ave to the Space and Rocket Center.  To adjoin the downtown part of the course to the Space and Rocket Center, you have to run through questionable neighborhoods.  The Space and Rocket Center marks 18 miles and the Botanical gardens marks ~20-21 miles.  When you get to the Rocket Center, you are now looping back towards downtown again.  Leaving Botanical Gardens you run through some more residential neighborhoods and head back.  You pass by Brahan Spring Park, back up Seminole to Clinton and through the back side of the VBC when the finish line is right inside the arena of the VBC.  The Rocket City Marathon is the very first marathon in the state of Alabama and probably the most well known and best organized one in all of the state of Alabama.  With the city's official backing, the Huntsville Track Club, and Fleet Feet as well as tons and tons of other sponsors, this is very well organized and a pleasure to run.

The official 2014 Rocket City Marathon course map.


This was my first marathon.  I had a hard time getting to sleep and actually woke up early.  I guess I was pretty excited.  I grabbed some Chocolate Milk at around 4 AM and then tried to get another hour of sleep.  Officially woke up a little after 5 AM and got ready. Most of my stuff was organized the night before.  Got my wife and daughter up.  She made a couple of egg breakfast sandwiches on the go for herself and Emily.  We got to the parking next to the VBC lot a little after 6 AM.  It was a short 13 minute drive from the home to the VBC.  Our combined running groups were scheduled to meet at the sign in front of the VBC at 6:30. 




After a quick photo op, I then did a warm-up lap in front of the VBC.  I found my pace group lined up around 6:50. 




After a few brief announcements including our Mayor Battle and RD's Dink and Suzanne Taylor (who owns the local Fleet Feet in town) and the singing of our National Anthem, the gun went off and it was the start of my race.  I lined up with the 3:35 pace group.  However, my pace group actually started out very fast.  I stayed with my group until about mile 17.  Somewhere around mile 17 on our way towards the Rocket Center I lost my group and no longer could keep up.  Splits are as follows:

1: 8:00
2: 7:56
3: 8:07
4: 7:57
5: 8:01
6: 8:01
7: 8:02
8: 8:06
9: 8:02
10: 8:08
11: 8:08
12: 8:11
13: 7:59
14: 8:09
15: 8:17
16: 8:24
17: 8:31

As you can see, this was very aggressive for a 3:35 pace group.  The correct pace for a 3:35 should be an 8:12 pace.  This was way fast and probably ruined my chances of meeting close to my goals.  I could feel my left knee tighten up just a little bit around mile 12.  Slowly my left leg and my right buttucks were getting more and more tight.  I still felt strong at the Rocket Center but I knew I was in trouble.  Somewhere after leaving the Botanical Gardens I had to walk for the first time.  I could no longer run.  From about mile 21-25 I was fighting with run walks.  It was heart breaking to have the 3:40 pace group pass me around mile 23.  At that point I was very upset and was shouting mild expletives.  I knew 3:40 was not even possible and I wanted it so bad.  People running around me that heard me were giving me words of support.  That was very nice.  There were a few of us that were doing the run walk thing at this point.  Just grappling with our bodies and seeing how much we can force our bodies to go.  Around mile 24 was another aid station and I took a couple of cups of PowerAid.  It tasted so good.  From mile 25 till the end, I was able manage a non-stop run to the finish.  With one mile to go, we made the turn onto Clinton and I just held on for dear life up to the VBC North Hall building.  Turning into the VBC, we ran around the back end of the building for what seemed like the longest quarter of a mile in my life.  There was another guy that said out loud what I was thinking, "Where the hell is this finish?".  LOL  We turn the corner and you can now see the inside of the VBC arena, with the finish line like 25 feet in front of us.  Someone said watch your step and I almost tripped over this little hill just before the finish mats.  Who the hell would put that there?  I think it was where they were running cables.  My feet were barely shuffling at this point and trying to lift my legs over this thing was a major chore.  Jennifer told me later on that people were tripping over and falling right and left over this thing.  I barely stayed on my feet, thank God.

Last set of splits:
18: 9:08
19: 9:08
20: 8:58
21: 9:40
22: 9:42
23: 10:21
24: 10:32
25: 10:55
26: 9:36
26.2: 9:41
Official time: 3:50:15. 

I saw the clock reading 3:50 and some change.  While I was upset that I didn't make 3:40, I was also very happy with my finish and that I did sub-4.  Crossing the line, this one girl volunteer greeted me, put my medal around my neck and handed me a hat and walked me to the back where I first saw my daughter very excited and then my wife.  The woman was trying to get me to stop but I told her that I wanted to keep walking.  Jennifer finally met me and the girl passed her onto me.  I told Jennifer that I wanted to pace back and forth for a bit.  I did not want to stop and I did not want to sit.  Eventually Jennifer and Emily now led me to the back exit from the arena floor.  You had to walk up steps to get to the finishers food section.  What kind of sadistic nut thought this was a good idea.  I carefully walked up to the area mezzanine (man my legs were really sore) and out to where they had the food.  Banana's, moon pies, chocolate milk, yogurt stick, ice cream sandwich, bagels with cream cheese and more bagels with peanut butter, hot vegetable soup...  Somewhere they were serving beer but I didn't want any.  After grabbing my food, I went downstairs (yes more stairs) to eat and then schedule a free massage. After eating, I finally sat down for the first time as I waited to get my massage.   After my massage I met up with some other friends and chatted and finally told Jennifer that I was ready to go home.  I was cold and shivering even with that foil cape thing they were handing out.  I wanted to go home and take a hot bath. 




Thank you everyone for your support.  It was MFP and the running friends that I made on here that first encouraged me to start racing.  From Columbus Day in October 2013 (running on a treadmill for 3 miles at a time just to loose 45 pounds) to my first 10K in March 2014, and my first Half marathon in April 2014.  This has been a crazy and wild rookie racing season and now it comes to a close.  I am looking forward to some rest and then get back out there and train for my next set of races.  it will most likely start with the very same 10K that started all of this.  The UAH Spring Road Race in March.  Then I meet Doug in Knoxville for the first of 4 back to back weekends worth of HM's.

NOTE: I never did meet Doug in Knoxville, but I did get my 4 back to back HMs to earn a Jupiter status in Half Maniacs.


Card that my daughter Emily made for me after the race.


You can keep up with me on my Facebook The Running Stan page.  You can also follow me on my Strava page

No comments:

Post a Comment